Wachiya means "Hello" in Cree.
We are an online store that focuses on Cree arts and crafts products from Eeyou Istchee. Each piece is unique and made with care and attention to detail and represents the artist’s background and expertise in creating traditional arts and crafts.
We source authentic Eeyou products directly from Eeyou producers and through the Cree Native Arts and Crafts Association, which ensures fair return to producers.
As a social enterprise, we actively prioritize community benefits and social impact over private profit, while expanding the market share for Eeyou producers. Wachiya is a part of the Cree Native Arts and Crafts Association, a not-for-profit organization, which aims to preserve, revitalize and support Cree culture by developing a social economy for Eeyou producers.
We are excited to share Wachiya with the world!
The Wachiya store’s mission is to support and strengthen the cultural industry in Eeyou Istchee by working together with Eeyou artists and artisans in achieving sustainable arts and crafts-based livelihoods.
We focus on building beneficial and lasting relationships with Eeyou artists and artisans and provide an online outlet for their products. More specifically our objectives are to:
- Facilitate improved access to local, national, and international markets.
- Stimulate and strengthen the traditional and contemporary Eeyou arts and crafts production.
- Create and promote Eeyou arts and crafts brand as a first choice for Canadian and international customers.
- Keep abreast of the newest market trends and promote continuous improvement of products and customer service.
Our vision and work are guided by four pillars:
- Our artists and craftspeople are living bearers of our culture and heritage.
- Our arts and crafts are the expression of our past, our present and our aspirations for the future.
- Our artists and artisans must be able to sustain themselves economically through their talents.
- As long as Cree arts and crafts are maintained, and our traditions preserved; our Cree people will remain strong.
Cree Native Arts and Crafts Association
The Cree Native Arts and Crafts Association (CNACA) is a non for profit organization established in 2004 under the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA) signed in 1975. Our mandate is to assume a leadership role on behalf of the Cree for the development of the arts and crafts and the cultural industries of Eeyou Istchee.
CNACA is a resource hub that links arts and crafts entrepreneurs with the resources to assist them to succeed and thrive in their business.
We develop and encourage educational and funding programs to assist the membership to maximize their potential, as well as foster and encourage networking within the arts and craft industry.